Every time somebody asks me if I'm more of a sweets or salty person, I reply that I'm actually more of a cookie person. I absolutely despise candy (as in gummy bears), but i love me some chocolate chip cookies. And biscuits. And chocolate. Especially combined.
So that's exactly what I did. I made me (and you) a huge batch of brownies with a biscuit crust.
Here is a progress of the batter (which I probably ate like half of during the process):
As you can probably tell, I baked the crust beforehand (which was peanuts, I literally just combined some stuff in a bowl, transferred it to an oven tray and popped it in the oven for a few minutes, you'll see it in the recipe). And the smell... the SMELL of this crust! Literally had me drooling (don't worry I didn't drool on the crust)!
- 1½ cups of blended digestive biscuits
- 6 tbsps melted coconut oil
- ½ cup of sugar
- Pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (sifted)
- 1¾ cup of cacao powde
- ¼ tsp of baking powder
- 2 heaping tbsps of brown cane sugar
- Pinch of pink himalayan salt
- ½ tsp of vanilla powder
- ½ a cup of melted coconut oil
- ½ a cup of applesauce
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- If you haven't done so yet, blend your biscuits in a blender until they have reached a flour-like consistency.
- Transfer the biscuit flour to a mixing bowl, add the sugar, salt & coconut oil and mix. It'll have a wet sand-like consistency (see photos).
- Now transfer the biscuit flour to your oven tray and press down with a large spoon until it's flat and nice & even.
- Pop the tray in the oven for approx. 10 minutes (and enjoy the aroma).
- While your crust is in the oven, simply mix all of your dry ingredients, followed by the wet ingredients of your brownie batter.
- Remove your crust from the oven if you haven't done so yet and pour the brownie batter on top of it & even it out.
- Place the oven tray back into the oven for approx. 1 hour or until a knife comes out relatively clean when you insert it in the middel of the brownie.
- Allow the brownies to cool of completely before cutting.