Vegan Crunchy Coconut Macaroons
I've always loved coconut macaroons; but they've always made me nauseous because they always seem so greasy and way too sweet. So I decided to revamp them.
Food that's crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside is always good if you ask me. These guys are just as crunchy as fried coconut macaroons; but, they're not fried. That means low fat, gluten free, sweet, soft and crunchy goodness.
Making this was insanely easy! All you'll need is 3 simple ingredients and an oven. That's it!
- 3 cups of unsweetened coconut (see photos for reference)
- 2 tsps of organic maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- approx. 1/2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- Start off by preheating your oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Prep a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the coconut to a power blender or food processor and blend until it's close to a flour-like consistency and it sticks together when you squeeze it in between your fingers.
- Transfer the coconut to a mixing bowl and add the maple syrup and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Scoop out about 1 tbsp and pack firmly with your hands. Start of by flattening the mixture in between your hands, followed by forming it into a ball-shape. Place these balls on the lined baking sheet.
- Brush the coconut macaroons lightly with a bit of coconut oil and top them off with some more coconut.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Eat them warm (my favourite) or store them in an air tight container as soon as they've cooled off!